Monday, December 31, 2012

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless

This book is intense! It consumed me. It is deep, diligent and meaningful. I can't think of a more powerful analogy. It was just, uhh...words can't really describe.

If you loved Slammed, you will love Hopeless, but don't go looking for it to be like Slammed, it is completely different. The talent is still there, but the story is just so different. It's dark, yet light at the same time.

Sky is not like anyone else. She was adopted and has grown up in a house where technology is frowned upon. No Internet, no cell phone, poor thing doesn't even have TV.

Not that her parenting style is a negative one. It's just...very contradictory. She's been strict my whole life. We've never had access to the Internet, cell phones or even television because she believes technology is the root of all evil in the world. Yet, she's extremely lenient in other regards. She allows me to go out with Six whenever I want, and as long as she knows where I am, I don't even really have a curfew.

Sky doesn't really do feelings. She hasn't cried in years and she isn't too sure that she can even love someone.

I've never been swept off my feet. I don't get butterflies. In fact, the whole idea of being swooned by anyone is foreign to me.

After always being home schooled, Sky is finally allowed to go to public school for her senior year. She is stuck with a reputation that she didn't even earn.

Despite what this may look like, I am not a slut. Unless, of course, the definition of slut is based on the fact that I make out with lots of people, regardless of my lack of attraction for them. In that case, one might have grounds for debate.

Through all the torture from the mean girls at school (even though she doesn't care what anyone thinks) she still manages to meet Holder. Holder has a reputation worse than hers. They instantly click...well they don't click...or maybe they kind of do. The relationship is very rocky, lol. Sky doesn't understand why Holder acts the way he does some time. He is sweet and friendly, then reserved and hateful. It doesn't make any sense to her, he has only know her for about a week, so he has no reason to be crazy like this.

"You're...intense. Too intense. And moody. And a little bit scary..."

Even though Holder is driving her crazy with his mood swings, she still can't help how she feels for him. She should hate him, or at least feel nothing like she always has but it's is uncontrolable.

I hate it. I absolutely, positively hate this beautiful, magical feeling.

The relationship between Sky and Holder will build and build and build and then we hit a brick wall and it stops and goes in reverse. The emotions and angst are just too much! The kicker is, Holder has a secret that he doesn;t even realize he has. Once it comes out, their lives will change forever.

“You can’t get mad at a real ending. Some of them are ugly. It’s the fake happy ever afters that should piss you off.”



No comments:

Post a Comment